Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Better Secured Browsing With Mozilla Firefox

I've written some posts in the past about secure web browsing and I'd like to post this as a new update. You can read one of the original posts from this link .
[ http://phreshnewmedia.blogspot.com/2015/08/secure-your-internet-browsing-using_24.html ]
It is very similar to what I'm posting below but I've now added a couple more things.

First off, I recommend to use only Mozilla Firefox as it has been the most reliable browser for me this year. I used to have Google Chrome as my default browser but it let me down more than once on occasion. I've made Mozilla Firefox my default browser and not Microsoft Edge, or Google Chrome. While both Chrome and Edge are very speedy browsers, I've found that Edge was too intrusive with my personal info, sending tracking data and other pieces of info to Microsoft, and I also found Chrome to be a little too volatile, with freezing, crashing, and having some add-ons and plugins fail. While both of those browsers work fine for some people, I just prefer having a better open-sourced program in Firefox because it works extremely well and isn't from a huge corporation. [ www.getfirefox.com ]

Here's how to optimize Firefox for a secure web browsing experience.

Open Firefox --> click on the three horizontal lines in the top right corner to open the settings menu.

--> click on "Options" --> click on the "Privacy" tab
--> under Tracking select the first option 'Use Tracking Protection in Private Windows'
--> just underneath that also click on 'manage your Do Not Track settings' and put a check in the box.
--> under History select "Never remember history"
--> click "OK" button

The next part involves installing third party extensions to further protect your browser. These features aren't automatically built in so we have to add them in.

--> when using Firefox, you can just click the links below to instantly be taken to the page where you can choose to install them in Firefox. Simply click the "+ Add to Firefox" button.

The two extensions I recommend are these:
     1.) AdBlock Plus - helps by blocking intrusive advertisments and annoying pop-ups.
     2.) AdBlock for Youtube - same as above but specifically for the Youtube video website.
     3.) Adblocker for Facebook - blocks ads and pop-ups while using Facebook.
     4.) Strict Pop-up Blocker - much more effective than the built-in pop-up blocker. Once installed it will show a small page icon to the left of the settings menu (three horizontal lines) on the top-right. Click on the small page icon once to toggle the red circle with a slash through it to begin blocking pop-ups. Toggle it off when needed.

Please also note that some sites, do require you to allow pop-ups once in a while. Some Webmail and collaborative sites like Office 365, and some organization learning websites are designed to use pop-ups.

No comments:

Post a Comment